Laughter and promise

>> 20091125



I did not fall from the sky
I
nor descend like a plague of locusts
to drink color and strength from the earth
and I do not come like rain
as a tribute or symbol for earth's becoming
dark and open

sometimes I fall like night
softly
and terrible
only when I must die
in order to rise again.

I do not come like a secret warrior
with an unsheathed sword in my mouth
hidden behind my tongue
slicing my throat to ribbons
of service with a smile
while the blood runs
down and out
through holes in the two sacred mounds
on my chest.

I come like a woman
who I am
spreading out through nights
laughter and promise
and dark heat
warming whatever I touch
that is living
consuming
only
what is already dead.


Audre Lorde, "The Women of Dan Dance"

0 comments:

Banksy - Wall and Piece

The ones who come around

Simon's Cat

  © Blogger templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP